Steve Armstrong, Vice President – Admissions, in his 12/5/2014 memo to CAS Candidates and Educators, shared the following regarding changes to the Fall 2015 CAS Syllabus of Basic Education:
“In Fall 2015, the CAS will be administering Exams 5, 6 Canada, 6 United States, and 8. The CAS Syllabus Committee has approved changes for the Fall 2015 syllabus as outlined below. As you review the detailed changes, please note:
- Exam 5 has no changes for the Fall of 2015.
- The changes for Exam 6U will also apply for Spring 2016.
- The Canadian Institute of Actuaries modified the syllabus for Exam 6-Canada for the Fall 2015 and for Spring 2016 with the concurrence of the Syllabus Committee chairperson and the senior part specialist for Exam 6-US.
- Additional changes that may be made in the future include modifications to learning objectives and knowledge statements as well as edition changes to current citations.
- The Fall 2015 syllabus will be posted in its entirety in early May 2015 and the CAS Study Kits will be available in early June 2015.
Links to the Fall 2015 CAS syllabus are available below.
Exam 6-United States – Changes from the Spring 2015
- Bartlett, D.K.; Klein, R.W.; and Russell, D.T., “Attempts to Socialize Insurance Costs in Voluntary Insurance Markets: The Historical Record,” Journal of Insurance Regulation, Summer 1999, pp. 478-487, up to Assessment Life Insurance.
- Harrington, S.E., “Insurance Rate Regulation in the 20th Century,” Journal of Insurance Regulation, Winter 2000, pp. 204-217.
- RAND Institute for Civil Justice, Research Brief RB-9037-ICJ, 2002.
- Wagner, T., “Insurance Rating Bureaus,” Journal of Insurance Regulation, Winter 2000, pp. 189-202.
- Wiening, E.A.; Rejda, G.E.; Luthardt, C.M.; and Ferguson, C.L.; Personal Insurance (First Edition), American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters, 2002, pp. 10.25-32 and 12.26-12.33.
- Feldblum, S., “Rating Agencies,” CAS Study Note, October 3, 2011. Remove Section 4 and Section 5. Appendices B-D and the endnotes.
- “Government Insurers Study Note,” CAS Study Note, Updated September 2013. Remove the section on Unemployment Insurance.
- NAIC White Paper, “The U.S. National State-Based System of Insurance Regulation and the Solvency Modernization Initiative” 2013.
Remove Section 2, paragraphs 15-18, 26-28, 32-34, 41-42; Section 3 paragraphs 9, 13 15, 23-32 and 38-39; Section 4 and Section 5, paragraphs 9, 20-29, 30-45, 61-86.
- Porter, K., Insurance Regulation, Insurance Institute of America, 2008.
Remove pages 2.19-2.29, 3.21-3.25 4.16 – 23, 5.12 – 5.22,
Add Pages 8.12 – 8.15.
Include: 6.11 – 6.17, 8.3 – 8.6
- Move the asbestos knowledge statement and associated reading from Section A5 to Section A4.
- The readings for Section A5 are the RAND reading (removed for the new syllabus) and the Asbestos reading, and so Section A5 will no longer exist.
- Reduce the weights for Section A from 15-25% to 15-20%.
- Reduce the weights for Section B from 10-20% to 10-15%.
- Increase the weights for Section D from 10-15% to 15-20%
- National Council on Compensation Insurance, The 1998 Adjustment to the Experience Rating Plan: Your Guide to Understanding the Changes. “